My New Cantonese Blog

Posted on | November 23, 2007 | 8 Comments

I always find language learner’s materials artificial and boring. I always want to access real-life contents in the languages I am learning.

There are of course a lot of real-life contents I can find today, especially on the Internet. However, most of them are either in written forms, or only available in audio or video format. Sometimes, I can find audio with someone reading some texts. As far as transcripts of real-life conversations are concerned, there are just not many of them around. At one point in time, I was so frustrated that I wanted to hire someone to transcribe for me. But then I figured out it could be quite expensive to do so.

What can I do? May be I will start by providing transcripts for learners in languages I am fluent in. Perhaps I will start with Cantonese first, which is my mother tongue.

So here it is. Ladies and Gentlemen … my new blog dedicated to all lovers (and potential lovers) of the Cantonese language: Cantophilia.

It could be that I am spawning this new blog out of my own frustration due to the lack of Cantonese transcripts out there. It could be that I am not happy with the fact that no Cantonese speaker is doing it. In fact, I can find only find 2 websites containing Cantonese transcripts, one from Milan and another from Marcelo, both are learners of the language. Where are the native-speakers?! (Besides their Cantonese friends who did the transcripts behind the scene of course).

My main reason of creating the blog though, is that I want to promote my own language. I already have this in mind for a while. Finally, I am putting it into action.

Tower of Confusion is still going to be my primary blog for language learning and multiculturalism. I still have a lot to talk about on these topics.

Comments

8 Responses to “My New Cantonese Blog”

1. Keith
    November 25th, 2007 @ 2:52 am

I have bookmarked your Cantophillia site.

2. Keith
    November 25th, 2007 @ 6:16 am

Edwin,

When I was in California, I used to get the International Channel. On there I could watch a program from Vancouver, BC that had music videos in Cantonese and Mandarin. The women singers had such beautiful voices. I just loved to listen to them. But I didn’t write down any names and now I don’t know how to find those beautiful voices again.

Do you know how a guy could find those songs?

3. Edwin
    November 25th, 2007 @ 8:15 am

Thanks Keith.

The HK Music industry has been going downhill since the last 90’s. Since then the life-cycles of the pop songs has become very short. Apart from some outstanding ones, most songs only last for a few months if not a few weeks. And some mediocre singers might not last long either.

I guess you can start by googling “HK Pop” and find those sites with the pictures of the singers. If you can identify the singers, you can narrow down the search.

4. Milan
    November 26th, 2007 @ 11:24 pm

Edwin, I love your Cantonese blog. The transcripts are good, however, you occassionally make some tone and pronunication mistakes in your jyutping.

The good thing with your transcripts is that they are authentic. I particurly like the news script. Lots of new words for me.

Thanks Very Much. Saves me work.

5. Edwin
    November 26th, 2007 @ 11:34 pm

Milan, thanks for going through the transcripts. Please post comments to the posts and let me know where the typos are. Thanks!

6. Idetrorce
    December 15th, 2007 @ 5:39 pm

very interesting, but I don’t agree with you
    Idetrorce

7. Edwin
    December 15th, 2007 @ 5:48 pm

On what?

8. KoalaLéo
    February 27th, 2012 @ 7:52 am

Hello!

Wow – after reading this, it is like all the online resources I have been using to learn Cantonese have merged – the ‘learn cantonese.ca’ site as well as your Cantophilia site! haha.

Well, I’m a beginner learning Cantonese, and I also agree that one needs to find more interactive resources when learning Cantonese (or any language for that matter). I have always relied on studying grammar and vocabulary, but really the most important help comes from actually using the language and interacting with native speakers. I feel this is particularly important when learning Cantonese – especially as it is primarily a spoken language. I will keep reading your blog! Thank you! It is inspiring for my own language learning blog!